Monday, March 20, 2017

Old Town Mt.Sterling


I wanted to spend some time talking about a little town in east-central Kentucky called, Mount Sterling, where my parents both lived and were raised - and we visited quite a bit as I was growing up.

Like any small American town, it has its perks and its pitfalls! There isn't much employment there and the young people seem to do what young people do these days - get into trouble! That part is very sad, but looking at the perks of the town makes up some ground for me, personally.

Some history on the town gives it its own mystique and personality. For starters, it was named for an ancient burial mound called Little Mountain is also for the town named Stirling in Scotland. That lends to the mystique to this east-central Kentucky mining town.

Hugh Forbes was its first developer and it is named after him as well.

Back in 1792 the Kentucky Assembly passed an act to establish the town as Mount Sterling, leaving the misspelled word in the name (Stirling).

I had lots of fun on each visit to my grandparent’s houses for Christmas and Easter holidays. It was in my grandmother's house that I first got the writing itch as a fourteen-year-old basketball lover!

My mother's grave is there in MacPelah Cemetery, along with several cousins and aunts and uncles! It’s a good little town for its scenery and the pleasantness of the older folks who have grown up there. I have thought some about moving there but I changed my mind very fast.

No offense intended there at all!

Some more facts about the town are these:  the mound it was named after is located at the center of Queen and Locust streets. The very first cabin in the area was built in 1779. The first permanent settlement was built in 1790. 1796 saw the town become established as the county seat for Montgomery County, which was named just before.

No comments: