Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Non Traditional Housing


  My wife approached me today with an idea she had. She shared with me the thought about where
we could live, just the two of us, after the children were gone to college. Whether I want to admit it or not, that time is rapidly approaching us. She mentioned how we could do it and, I have to admit this, it sounds like a pretty good plan to me! We all know that it has been scientifically proven that
women use both sides of their brain on a daily basis and that us poor, dumb guys use only one side!
Well, she is most certainly a clear-thinking, 'two sides of the brain' type of woman and most of her
ideas are good and practical.

  The plan she came up with, though she said its only "a thought", was for us to sell the house and
land we are currently in with the kids and use that money to buy a piece of land and a really nice
mobile-home (yes, a trailer) next to her sister and brother-in-law in a small city just south of us.
From the beginning of her conversation I was 'all in' and liked what she was proposing. It made
sense, both financially and physically for both of us! I got a pretty smart lady as my wife!  With
both of us being on the 'same page' in this matter, or any other, it makes things much easier. That's
a free tip to those who are planning on getting married any time soon!

  For me, the adjustment wont be difficult, I expect, because I grew up in mobile homes for many
years and then, later in life, bought my own as a single guy and really enjoyed that part of my life,
for all intents and purposes! Mobile homes certainly are not a very attractive 'status symbol' if one
is going for that look but they are simple and fairly easy to maintain. Its just a matter of taste,
really and, of course, budget. I'm a little bit excited by the prospect already, I must say!

  I answered in the affirmative to her and, hopefully, she sees that I am willing to work with her.
Who knows, it could be fun for us and in our later years it may also be a challenge for our
marriage, to see how committed we are to each other. Many couple grow apart and end up in
divorce after the children are gone, as we all know. Its a tragic thing and a horrible testimony on
the institution of marriage but it is all too common in this century!

  Being in agreement on ideals and important matters in life is a very large part of the foundation
of marriage and with the stability of it being solid, a marriage can usually stand up to just about
anything! I thank God that I have a good wife and that my own parents provided a very solid
example of what God intended marriage to be. Sure we mess up and so did they, but that's a part
of every area of life! We get out of it exactly what we put into it.

  I look forward to the what the future holds, not only for my wife and me, but for our children
as the begin their adult lives in full college-life mode!


Jeff Pendleton

8/2/16


No comments: