Thursday, August 11, 2016

Beginnings



  I was going through some old papers from my desk a few
days ago and came across some of my early writings. They
we're filled with spelling and punctuation errors, of course,
but they were also imaginative. In my younger days I often
dreamed of becoming a sports writer. I loved sports, as most
13 year old's do, and basketball was the main focus of my
writing. I fantasized about covering the ABA, which was my
favorite brand of pro basketball at that time, and the home~
town Kentucky Colonels. They were such a fun team for me
to watch, or rather, to listen to on whas radio out of Louisville.

In my fantasies I imagined my friends and I having a local
AAUA team. Sort of a hodgepodge of teens with superstar~
talent in our neighborhood. We had a great team, named
after my heroes of course, the Colonels. We were comprised
of several of my friends, my brother and me and coached by
my dad. The Lexington Colonels were born and ready to
whip every team in Lexington! Or so we thought.

 During the regular season we would play other team's from
around Lexington and a few from neighboring cities, beating
most of them and making it to the league playoffs. We did
have trouble with a select number of teams but still managed
To have an impressive record! I had to make it somewhat
realistic, after all. The Colonels provided great excitement for
all of our fans and even gained new ones when we played in
front of hostile crowds, so to speak! This team would soon
become legends throughout Kentucky, in my own mind, of
course!

 Much of our style of play was copied after the ABA and it's
wild, playground antics. It was just plain fun for all of us!
Being known for their basketball dominance, the state of
Kentucky only benefited from this group of teenage super~
stars who drew great crowds on concrete and blacktop
courts across Lexington! My brother was a pure shooter
and often hit some long shots from deep on the perimeter.
My friend, Mike, was quick and sneaky in the backcourt
and wasn't afraid to go inside for a basket. Me? I was the
`white version` of Dr. J, Julius Erving, my childhood hero!
As many of you know, Julius was an amazing and unique
player in the ABA and NBA! I loved the way he soared and
dunked the ball. That's what I dreamed of doing and in my
fantasies, I could.

 As the Lexington Colonels, we would dominate the AAUA
and move on to become repeat champion's for several years!
My journey as a would-be sports writer took me to some
great destinations for the sake of basketball and it was a
healthy dream for me through my teen years and beyond!
I miss that time of beginning and how much in love I was
with this thing called writing, almost as much as I loved
the game of basketball and still do.

 Thank the good Lord for imagination!

Jeff Pendleton
8/11/16

No comments: